About

Origin of the Willie Redhead Foundation

For some time now, St. George’s has been recognized, regionally as well as locally, as a historic city of some significance with particular reference to its considerable architectural heritage. Amounting to more than just a handful of historic buildings as is the case in some Caribbean cities, this overall urban quality has been sufficiently evident to have earned recognition by the Organisation of American States, when in 1988, St. George’s was nominated by that body as “a Monument of the Wider Caribbean”.
The St. George’s Development Plan Final Draft of 1991, prepared by the Physical Planning Unit in the Ministry of Finance, effectively describes the situation when it says: “In fact the whole of St. George’s town can be considered as an urban unit which seldom is disturbed by buildings with an unusual scale, proportions or materials …; Apart from conserving the buildings of prime significance ….., it is also important that new structures are compatible with the existing structures.” All this is testimony to the real and growing awareness of Grenadians and others, of the city’s aesthetic heritage and concern for its preservation.
The Willie Redhead Foundation for the Preservation and Urban Renewal of St. George’s is a NOT FOR PROFIT, charitable, Non-Governmental, Organsition, and was conceived as a vehicle for protecting this heritage. Including among the objects for which the Foundation is established are the following: –

1. To encourage the preservation of the Town of St. George’s as a Caribbean historic townsite having regard to the layout of its streets and its architecturally interesting ancient buildings.

2. To raise funds from the public and from institutions, both within the state and elsewhere, for use by the Foundation in furthering its objectives.

3. To sponsor programmes to provide funds for scientific investigations into the cause of accelerated deterioration of its ancient buildings or in any other wise adversely affect efforts to preserve the architectural integrity of the town while providing for a level of urban renewal which is not inconsistent with the objects of the Foundation.

4. To provide funds for public education on matters in furtherance of the objectives of the Foundation.

5. To print and publish any newspapers, periodicals, books, posters or leaflets that the Foundation may think desirable for the promotion of its objects.

6. To accept any gift of property whether subject to any special trust or not, for any one or more of the objects of the Foundation.

Willie Redhead, whose name the Foundation bears, is a Grenadian of revered memory who distinguished himself by the manner in which he held up before his countrymen constant reminders of their responsibility in supporting and encouraging the preservation of historic St. George’s, and of the pride and great benefit to Grenada such a constructive approach would have; and he did so in his regular newspaper column over many a decade, speaking in public, in like vein, whenever the opportunity presented itself. He also wrote a book about it called “A City on a Hill.”

 

 

More Information

Members of the Willie Redhead Foundation in good standing (2016)

The First, second & thrid Directors of the Willie Redhead Foundation

The International Standing of WIllie Redhead

 

 

Members’ Biographies
 
1st Directors of the Willie Redhead Foundation (1994 – 2000):
Smiley face

Norris Mitchell

Founder/President

Norris Mitchell attended the St. John’s R.C. School, and was the first of two recipiemts who was awarded the St. John’s District Board Scholarship to the Grenada Boys Secondary School (GBSS), the second was the late Sir Paul Scoon a few years later.

Read More….

Smiley face

Leslie Pierre

Director
(Founding Member)

At the end of his sojourn on planet earth, Leslie Pierre departed on Sunday December 21, 2014 after “celebrating” his 86th birthday a month earlier. The footprints which he has left behind would be a daunting challenge to follow, for many coming after him.

Read More….

Smiley face

Raymond Anthony Smith

Director
(Founding Member)

Raymond Anthony Smith was born on 16th October 1930 in St. George’s, Grenada, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Sydney H. Smith. He grew up in St. Paul’s at his parents’ home “Ashford”. A long and distinguished education journey began for him at the St. George’s Intermediate School under headmaster John F. Nurse.

Read More….

Smiley face

Paula Williams

Executive Secretary

Paula Williams was the eldest daughter of the late Mr. W.E Julien of the reputed firm of W.E Julien & Co. and Mrs. Carmen Julien of Observatory Road, St. George’s; she received her secondary education at the Anglican Schools in both St. George’s and Port-of-Spain before attending Acadia University in Nova Scotia Canada.

Read More….

 
2nd Board of Directors of the Willie Redhead Foundation (2000 – 2012):
Smiley face

Norris Mitchell

President/Director
(See Bio. Under First Set of Directors)

Norris Mitchell attended the St. John’s R.C. School, and was the first of two recipiemts who was awarded the St. John’s District Board Scholarship to the Grenada Boys Secondary School (GBSS), the second was the late Sir Paul Scoon a few years later.

Read More….

Smiley face

Raymond Anthony Smith

OBE
(See Bio. Under First Set of Directors)

Raymond Anthony Smith was born on 16th October 1930 in St. George’s, Grenada, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Sydney H. Smith. He grew up in St. Paul’s at his parents’ home “Ashford”. A long and distinguished education journey began for him at the St. George’s Intermediate School under headmaster John F. Nurse.

Read More….

Smiley face

Arnold Cruickshank

CBE

Arnold Cruickshank was born in St. Paul’s on September 20, 1929. He attended the Wesley Hall primary school, then the Grenada Boys Secondary School (GBSS) under headmasters: Mr. G.C Grant, Dr. Wilfred Rankin and Mr Rawle Jordon.

Read More….

 
3rd Board of Directors of the Willie Redhead Foundation (2012 – 2016):
Smiley face

Samuel ‘Tim’ Byam

President/Director

Samuel ‘Tim’ Byam better known as ‘Tim’ was born in Trinidad of a Trinidadian father and Grenadian mother, he spent his boyhood years in Grenada after the death of his father in 1950.

Read More….

Smiley face

Cecil Edwards

Treasurer

Cecil Edwards was born in Molinere, St. George GRENADA. He attended the Happy Hill R.C primary school from 1942 -7 and unto the St. George’s R.C. Senior Boys School from 1948 – 54, under the late J.W. Fletcher as Headmaster.

Read More….

Smiley face

James Finlay

Vice President

James Finlay was born at the then Colony Hospital to the Finlay Family of Paddock St. George. He attended the Wesley Hall Primary and Secondary Schools where he obtained his O Levels, and from 1971-3 attended the Grenada Teachers College.

Read More….

Smiley face

Norris Mitchell

Immediate Past President
(See Bio. Under 1st and 2nd Set of Directors)

Norris Mitchell attended the St. John’s R.C. School, and was the first of two recipiemts who was awarded the St. John’s District Board Scholarship to the Grenada Boys Secondary School (GBSS), the second was the late Sir Paul Scoon a few years later.

Read More….

 
Willie Redhead – The Man Whose Name the Foundation Bears:
Smiley face

Willie Redhead

Wilfred (Willie) Redhead whose name the foundation bears was a man of many parts, indeed-he has been referred to as a RENAISSANCE MAN due to his many accomplishments.
Willie Redhead was the 5th of six siblings and was born on November 10, 1908 and passed away on February 23, 1993

Read More….

 
A brief biographical sketch on each of the above is included for general information.

 

 

 

 

A SIMPLER DONATION SYSTEM UNDER DEVELOPMENT BELOW
IN THE MEAN TIME USE THE DONATE NOW BUTTON ON THE RIGHT.

DONATE WITH CREDIT CARD


Credit Cards


Loading...